Alfred Andrew Jackson Walker – Family Stories and Photographs

Alfred Andrew Jackson Walker, born 3 March 1862 in Walker County Alabama was the only child of William A. and Sarah (Lane) Walker.

Alfred Andrew Jackson Walker Sr., Sarah Spier, and Ada Ruth Terry

The first Texas home of Alfred Andrew Jackson Walker was not in San Saba County, but was just across the Colorado River on Antelope Creek in Lampasas County. Jackie, as he was known as a boy, was born in Walker County, Alabama, March 3, 1862.

Jackie’s mother Sarah Lane Walker was widowed when her husband, William Walker, did not return from the Civil War. It was the family’s belief that he was ambushed and killed while on a reconnaissance mission. After a time, Sarah traveled to Lampasas County with her young son, who was between the ages of five and eight. Her father, Alfred G. Lane, had brought his family to Central Texas just before the Civil War.

After living for two years with Sarah’s brother, George, she and Jackie were able to homestead the adjoining farm of one hundred sixty acres. Nearby was Sarah’s father, one of Texas’ early circuit-riding Methodist ministers. Grandpa Lane gave Sarah and Jackie a mare and colt. That was the first use of the Walker’s brand, which was registered in 1873. The brand, well known in San Saba County for many years, is now used by Jack Walker’s oldest grandson, W. T. (Bill) Walker Jr. of Carrizo Springs.

Estelle, Sarah, Terry, Alfred, Ruth, A J Walker – about 1912

A J Walker, Sarah Lane & Ada Terry Children
A J Walker, Sarah Lane & Ada Terry Children

Sarah and Jackie, with the help of good neighbors, built a small log cabin, which boasted of a fireplace used for both cooking and heating. About this time he was sent to Old Shiloh school, which lay at that time, about a mile south of the Williams crossing, later called the Munsell crossing, on the San Saba River just a few miles from the present site of the Pecan Grove Baptist Church. Jackie boarded with the schoolmaster, whose name was Mr. Naudain. It was here that he met two life-long friends, Wesley Dalton and John Wallace. Wesley and his sister Sarah, also boarded with Mr. Naudain, who was their grandfather. Other children attending Old Shiloh were from Kirkpatrick, Williams, Whelan, Harris, Brown and Smith families. Lou Lane, an aunt of Jackie’s was also a student. Much later, she became the wife of James Patton of Harmony Ridge.

By the time Jack was fourteen. he and his mother had moved to San Saba, where he went to work as a helper in a saloon and an adjoining drayage company. Later he drove a dray wagon from Austin to Ft. Concho through Lampasas, Senterfitt, San Saba and other towns. Jack’s grandson Billy T., recalls his grandfather reminiscing on his dray wagon trips saying that he always rested his team under a certain pecan tree at the William’s crossing and that the tree hadn’t changed a bit. For a time, he drove the mail hack to Senterfitt community which later was moved over on the new railroad and is now known as Lometa.

Jack and his friend, Joe Williams, bought and operated a saloon in Richland Springs, then later bought the same saloon in San Saba for which Jack had worked as a boy of fourteen.

In 1884, Jack met Sarah Spier at Harmony Ridge. a popular gathering place of the time. They were soon married and their son, William Thomas was born January 1, 1885 in Richland Springs. When little Billie was six, his mother died, and grandma Sarah Walker took over the care of the little boy.

In 1891, Jack bought land in the Pecan Grove area that stretched from the rich San Saba River bottom land to the higher land that bordered what came to be known as Narrow Gauge Road. A small but comfortable house was built. During the next decade, other adjoining pieces of land were added, and the house was enlarged. For more than fifty years, A. J. (Jack) Walker lived on this property, and was engaged in farming and ranching.

A J Walker Sr. and Grandson Jack Walker – About 1948

Grandpa Jack
Grandpa Jack

On May 1, 1893, Jack married Ada Ruth Terry, daughter of John Thomas and Julia Terry and granddaughter of Stephen Woodson and Volumnia Jane Terry, both pioneer families of the Rough Creek Community. Stephen Terry was sheriff of San Saba County from 1867 to 1869. To Jack and Ada were born four children: Estelle Armour (April 23, 1894); John Terry (August 5, 1895); Alfred Jackson Jr. March 5, 1897, and Ada Ruth (February 12-1901). The mother of four died with the birth of her small namesake.

The five Walker children attended school at Pecan Grove School and San Saba High School. Billie graduated from Texas A. & M. Terry and Alfred attended the same school before serving in the army during W.W.I. Estelle attended College of Industrial Arts (now Texas Women’s University) in Denton. All the children attended Pecan Grove Baptist Church.

Jack was involved as part owner of Farmers Union Warehouse and Gin Company from 1906-1924. He was a faithful member of the Masonic Lodge from 1913 until his death.

Alfred Andrew Jackson Walker died in San Saba County June 6 1950 at the age of eighty-eight, and is buried by the side of his mother, Sarah, and his first wife Sarah, in the Harmony Ridge Cemetery.

Submitted by: Roxie Pierce Wilcox and Ruth Walker