The Photographs in this section are from the Harmony Ridge Cemetery located in San Saba Co. Texas.
During the night of January 29, 2005, the Harmony Ridge Community Center caught fire and the result is seen in the picture above on the left. The picture on the right is the beautifully rebuilt building with rock walls, steel benches, and steel podium. Only installation of doors and windows and electrical wiring remain to complete the restoration
This community center, originally a two story frame building, was built by the community in 1877 and used for school, church, and lodge meetings. In 1911 the second floor was removed and a new roof added. A new schoolhouse was built across the road in 1923 but the community center continued to be used for Church and Sunday School until 1935. The building was restored in 1960 leaving the interior unchanged. Sadly, as you can see, the building and its contents were lost in the fire.
It was in this community and school that A. J. Walker met, courted, and married his first wife Sarah Speir. Sarah was the daughter of Thomas Wilson Speir, one of the first settlers in Harmony Ridge. The Oliver Family has held its family reunion each year in the Community Center for as long as anyone can remember. Our cousin Garnet Branch, daughter of Billy and Pearle Walker, died in 2005, the morning after the Church burned. Garnet was buried in the Harmony Ridge Cemetery that shares the grounds with the Center.
The name Harmony Ridge originally was chosen because the people had worked together so well on the building project. As reflected in the rebuilt building above, that same spirit prevails 130 years later as the community came together to do the restoration.