Alfred Walker Jr. – Family Stories and Photographs

Alfred Walker Jr., born 5 March 1897 at Pecan Grove in San Saba County, was the third child of Alfred Jack and Ada Ruth Walker. Alfred and Velma Edwards were married in December 1919.

Alfred Jackson Walker, Jr. was the son of Alfred Jackson Walker Sr. and Ada Ruth Terry. He was born on March 5, 1897 at the family farm in the Pecan Grove community. He was one of the five children of A. J. Walker Sr. The children were reared with the help of Sarah Lane, their grandmother.

Alfred attended Pecan Grove school and church, went to high school in San Saba and later on Texas A & M for a short time before entering the army. He was stationed at Camp Mabry in Austin and attended an auto mechanics school when World War I was over. He returned to help work the farm at Pecan Grove.

Velma Terese Edwards was one of the daughters of Riley Jackson Edwards and Josephine Mohler. She was born near Lampasas on May 19, 1897. The other children were: Elizabeth Josephine, Eva Jo, Thelma Lea, Ruby Mae, Zuma Augusta, and Joel William.

The Edwards family moved into San Saba County in 1899 and lived and worked in the Bethel community, the Algerita community, and in San Saba. In 1911 they moved into the Pecan Grove community and lived in the old Zumwalt House, then owned by A. J. Walker, Sr., located about a mile east of the Pecan Grove church. The family worked for and with the A. J. Walker Sr. family and they attended the Pecan Grove church and school together.

Alfred and Velma Family 1933
Alfred and Velma Walker Family 1933

In December 1919 after being released from the Army, Alfred and Velma Terese Edwards were married and moved into the old Zumwalt House; the Riley Edwards family having vacated it and moved into San Saba. Alfred helped his father work the farm. In 1921, he and Velma had a son, Alfred J. III. (Jack). There was a flood in the spring of 1922 that eventually washed their house away. They had left the house during the night with their nine month old son and whatever keepsakes and necessities they could carry; and with the aid of a flashlight, made their way through the water, often chest-deep, about a half mile to the home of his father and later to high ground. They were to eventually salvage some of their possessions from the wreckage. One item was a mule, Kate, which had washed down the San Saba River into the Colorado River. down the Colorado River to the Dee Towerton place near the Bend, where she was rescued by the Towerton family and returned to Alfred. They then built another house on the Walker place about a mile north of the river on high ground.

Alfred and Velma had three daughters and a son afterwards, Betty Jo, Rose Terese, Hubert Edward and Thelma Nell.

Edward Alfred and Jack about 1947
Edward Alfred and Jack about 1947

Alfred enjoyed the sports of fishing, hunting, and baseball, which he played as a boy, and for several years after his marriage. They were both active in the Pecan Grove Baptist Church, and later in the First Baptist Church of San Saba.

During the early depression years, because of the hot and dry summers, the family had to move down to the bank of the river, living under canvas awnings and cooking on their wood stove. They worked the farm from there. During these years, there were many months when the grocery bill was not allowed to be over $20.00 a month for the seven of them.

Estelle and Alfred - Camp Davis New Mexico 1946
Estelle and Alfred – Camp Davis New Mexico 1946

Alfred learned to bud and graft pecan trees. He spent long hours on the young pecan trees and many of them are still showing the results of his work.

Alfred and Terry operated a thrashing machine many summers, thrashing their own and their neighbors small grain crops. Their wives, with help, operated the portable cook shack, cooking on a wood stove to feed the crew of a dozen men or so. Eventually, the combine put them out of this business.

In 1937, Alfred had an ulcer that ruptured, and he never fully recovered. He continued to try to work the farm. In 1938, they moved near San Saba so the children could go to school.

George McHorse and Nell - 1949
George McHorse and Nell – 1949

He received a part of the farm as his inheritance in 1945, but because of his health, could not fully work at it; so leased it whenever he could. In the summer of 1946 Alfred worked with Estelle and Ernest at Camp Davis in New Mexico. Camp Davis was a summer mountain retreat for teen-age boys and girls west of Las Vegas, New Mexico near Hermit’s Peak. In 1947 Alfred and Velma lived in Taft, California for awhile then returned to San Saba. In 1958, he sold his portion of the A. J. Walker, Sr. place to George M. Amthor.

Jack and Edward - 1949
Jack and Edward – 1949

Alfred and Velma, as the children were married and on their own, lived briefly in Bokosha Oklahoma; Poteau, Oklahoma; and Marble Falls, Texas. In 1979, Velma had a heart attack. After her recovery, they moved back to San Saba. On November 1, 1980, Alfred passed away at the age of 84, and is buried in the San Saba City Cemetery. As of this printing, Velma is in the San Saba Nursing Home.

There are five children, fifteen grandchildren, and sixteen great-grandchildren living today as a result of this union.

Submitted by Jack Walker August 24, 1983